Reports .....

Patchy performance results in loss to the Pirates

href=””>The BCD Solway Sharks fell to a disappointing six-three loss to the Hull Pirates on Saturday evening at the Shark Tank in a match that was, much like the Curate’s Egg, good in places.

From the opening puck drop the visitors brought the game to the Sharks and for long periods enjoyed a greater share of territory and possession. That is not to say that the home side didn’t have their share of chances with Struan Tonnar in particular unlucky to see his shot cannon of the goal frame with the Hull keeper beaten. However, it was to be the visitors who found the net twice in the opening session with two early goals from Samuel Towner (04:49) and Matthew Davies (07:40).

After the break Solway returned to the ice in a far different frame of mind and their attacking play was soon rewarded when Marek Charvat and Struan Tonnar set up Connor Henderson (22:09) to score with a wicked shot from a tight angle to the right of goal. The fans in the stands were barely back in the seats before they were back on their feet once more when Vaclav Kolarik (22:53 pictured) fired home from close range after good work from Duncan Speirs and Iain Bowie.

The visitors regained their advantage nine minutes into the session when Matthew Davies (29:00) netted his second counter of the game but that was a lead that was to last just five seconds. From the re-start the Sharks won possession and Scott Henderson sent Connor Henderson (29:05) through the centre to score with a powerful shot that Gospel in the Hull goal got a glove to but couldn’t prevent the puck hitting the net. Towards the end of the period Solway probably though they had done enough to head into the second intermission on level terms when they killed a long five-on-three powerplay but the visitors had other ideas and Bobby Chambelain (39:48) was in the right place at the right time to give the visitors a four-three advantage.

In the final period the visitors stepped up a gear and once more were largely on the front foot and ran in two unanswered goals when Matthew Davies (47:53) netted his hat-trick goal and Jason Hewitt (51:50 PP) added the final nail in the Sharks coffin on a powerplay. Overall Solway showed that they could live with Hull for twenty minutes in the second period but were unable to produce the required intensity for a full sixty minutes.

Man of the Match for Hull was awarded to Matthew Davies while Connor Henderson picked up that award for Solway.

Full match statistics can be found by following this link.

A gallery of photographs from this fixture can be found by following this link.