Reports .....

Road tie ends Sharks league season

The BCD Solway Sharks travelled to North Wales on Sunday evening for their final league fixture of the season but at the end of the day had to be satisfied with a point as the Deeside Dragons kept their hopes of avoiding relegation alive with a tremendous comeback to earn a four-four tie.

For much of the first period the Sharks play was somewhat sluggish and uncoordinated as the seemed to suffer from bus legs and the Dragons took advantage of this to lead by a single goal at the first break as Filip Supa (07:18) neatly converted Scott McKenzie’s pass from close range.

Coach Scott McMeeken mast have read the riot act during the interval as Solway came out for the second period with all guns blazing and took just twenty-nine seconds to level the scores when Marc Fowley (20:29) rounded off a crisp move up the left involving Joe Coulter and Kim Miettinen. Worse was to come for the home side as six minutes later Duncan Speirs (26:58) converted Stuart Kerr’s pass to give the Sharks their first lead of the night and Jurag Senko (34:11) made it three-one when he fired home from Daniel Abercrombie on a delayed penalty call. The game looked to be won when Duncan Speirs (35:45) collected a loose pass and expertly found the net to give Solway a three goal advantage but a powerplay goal from James Parsons (38:23) with ninety seconds left in the session gave Deeside some hope.

Knowing that they needed at least a draw from the game the Dragons finally showed some fire in the final period and took the game to the Sharks at every opportunity with player-coach Scott McKenzie seemingly at the heart of everything and his four assists on the night were vital to his teams cause. With nearly five minutes of the session gone Filip Supa (44:35) had the home fans on their feet when he converted McKenzie’s pass and that’s where they remained for the remainder of the game.

Whatever coach McKenzie said during his time-out worked almost immediately as with just under two minutes to go he and Matty Wainwright combines to set up Jordan Bannon (58:04) to score the equaliser. A win would have been nice for Deeside but it was more important not to loose so the remaining seconds must have felt like hours for the fans in the stands but survive they did and deservedly so. Now the must beat Blackburn away next Saturday to avoid automatic relegation and earn a two-legged promotion-relegation play-off.

Man of the Match for the Sharks was presented to Stevie Moore.

Full match details can be found here.