• Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club (SSIHC) – Committee Member – (Commercial Matters)
- Please note that this is a voluntary position, but all reasonable expenses will be paid.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS
- Monday 22 October 2018
- Interviews dates, times and place will be advised thereafte
- Please submit your application to Katie Ferguson – e-mail address: email@example.com
- Please include a CV and a letter setting out how you would meet the requirements of the role applied fo
Ice hockey is the world’s fastest team game, full of skilful stick handling, tactics, speed and grit. In the UK, ice hockey is a large spectator sport, has both amateur and professional leagues, and embraces some 12,000 participants from ‘grass roots’ to national team levels.
The Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club play in the English National League, the second tier of Ice Hockey within the UK. The Sharks have a long established partnership with Dumfries and Galloway Council. The two organisations work together and along with the Junior Solway Sharks Committee drive the development of the sport within the area. The club are currently going through a period of transition and change in order to continue on our journey of improvement and development both on and off the ice.
The Solway Sharks Committee is now looking to appoint a Committee Member with responsibility for commercial activity and fund raising. It is expected that the successful candidate, once appointed, will initially take a ‘hands on’ role in helping the SSIHC to raise its profile and deliver on the aims and objectives as identified in its marketing and sponsorship plan.
The Committee usually hold monthly meetings, although the frequency increases in the build up to a new season.
ROLE DESCRIPTION – Committee Member – (Commercial Matters)
- To act as a committee member of the SSIHC in the best interests of the Club, with honesty and in good faith towards its Members, employees, principal funding partners, sponsors and the communities within which the Club operates;
- To use such personal and professional skills together with such contacts, experience and judgement as s/he may possess with integrity and independence to optimise both the short-term and the long-term performance of the SSIHC;
- To play a full part in enabling the Committee to arrive at balanced and objective decisions in the performance of its agreed role and functions.
- To ensure that the objectives of the club, as agreed by the Committee, are promptly and properly carried out; and
- To act in the way s/he considers, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the Club for the benefit of its Members and the sport as a whole.
- To bring knowledge and experience from his/her professional background and qualifications for the benefit of the Club and the sport as a whole;
- To work with colleagues to undertake any specific project agreed by the committee to support the activities of the club;
- To take a lead in regard to sponsorship and marketing activity including game night sponsorship and corporate hospitality
- To represent SSIHC at relevant meetings, conferences and/or other events, as may be requested by the Board from time to time.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Independent Non-Executive Director (Commercial Matters) Required key skills, experience and qualifications:
- Professional experience and relevant qualifications in the specified field
- Recent experience as a director, trustee or committee member in a commercial, voluntary or public sector context
- Experience of operating at a senior level in a strategic capacity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work positively within a team
- Ability to develop effective, sustainable partnerships within the sport and with key stakeholders
- Ability to support, challenge and work collaboratively with the Chair, Chief Executive and Board Directors
Desirable skills, experience and qualifications:
- Working knowledge of sport
- Experience of speaking in public and to the media
Required behavioural competencies and qualities:
- Strategic perspective and vision
- Drive and commitment; and the ability to demonstrate these attributes to others
- Commitment to the sport and the organisation
- Strong intellectual and analytical abilities
- Innovative thinking, with ability to focus on the issues to be dealt with
- Dynamism, enthusiasm and energy
- Resilience and ability to make things happen
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Willingness to adhere to the SSIHC Board Code of Conduct